Man held without bail after 2nd arrest on domestic violence charges


PITTSFIELD — Dennis Nunes' alleged victim told police she began taking the extraordinary step to put petroleum jelly on her neck to prevent him from getting a good grip on it.

She told police she didn't know what else to do.

Nunes, 44, was found dangerous Thursday and ordered held without the right to bail for 120 days following a hearing in Central Berkshire District Court

Nunes has exhibited an "ongoing pattern of violence and domestic abuse," according to Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Veronica LaClair. He was convicted last year on charges of assaulting the same woman.

The new charges stemmed from an incident that was reported about 9:23 p.m. Sept. 1, when Nunes called 911 from a neighbor's house to report a disturbance, according to court records.

The woman told police Nunes had woken her by throwing a cup of coffee toward her, punched her and then grabbed her by the neck and throttled her. She said she got free and locked herself in the bathroom.

Nunes allegedly kicked in the door before leaving the apartment and going to the neighbor's house.

She told police Nunes chokes her often and said about a week prior, he had punched her in the throat and choked her.

The woman showed officers pictures of other injuries she allegedly received from Nunes in other incidents. She told officers she wasn't able to call 911 herself, because she couldn't find her phone.

Nunes said the woman began arguing with him when he asked if she wanted to accompany him to a neighbor's house. He said she tried to hit him and he raised his hands to defend himself and denied putting his hands upon her. Nunes pointed out to police it was he who called 911.

Police arrested Nunes on charges, which may also violate probation conditions in connection with last year's case.

In October 2015, Nunes walked into a dining room and flipped over the table at which the woman was sitting, knocking her to the floor and injuring her. He also took her car without permission.

When she confronted him, he allegedly grabbed her by the hair, threw her to the ground and choked her.

She called police, but Nunes has a police band scanner and fled when he heard officers were en route.

Police contacted the woman later to confirm some information she'd provided. She activated her phone and left it inside her purse so police could hear.

Officers said they heard Nunes screaming at the woman and threatening to take her dog.

Police were dispatched and found Nunes lying behind a fence in the backyard.

He pleaded guilty to charges of assault and battery on a family or household member and strangulation or suffocation and was sentenced to 18 months' probation.

In his new case, Nunes pleaded not guilty to two counts of assault and battery on a family or household member and one count of strangulation.

His attorney, Jerrold F. Trehey, said if his client were released, he would agree to have no contact with the woman and stay away from her, and that he had family with whom he could stay.

Judge William Rota denied him the right to bail and set a pretrial hearing for Oct. 21.

Contact Bob Dunn at 413-496-6249.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions