Man says he's not to blame for fatal Boston fire
BOSTON (AP) - A man named in a civil lawsuit alleging his welding company started a Boston brownstone fire that killed two firefighters says in a court filing he had no role in the blaze.
Giuseppe Falcone's response was filed in Suffolk Superior Court. It says he wasn't performing welding at a building next door when the March 26 fire erupted and the company named as his, D & J Iron Works, doesn't exist.
The lawsuit was brought last month by the executor of the estate of Michael J. Callahan, which owns the apartment building that burned. It also names the owner of the building where the welding took place.
City officials have said they believe welding sparks or slag started the wind-whipped fire. Fire Lt. Edward Walsh and firefighter Michael Kennedy died.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.