Massachusetts attorney general: Couples robbed of wedding memories
BOSTON (AP) -- The claim doesn’t involve big money, but priceless memories.
Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley claims in a civil action filed this week that a wedding videography company scammed dozens of newlywed couples by never delivering their video footage or refunding their money.
The lawsuit in Suffolk Superior Court seeks to recover the victims’ wedding footage and about $75,000 in restitution and penalties from a business that operated in Millbury as SureShot Portraits, LLC by owner Jesse J. Clark.
"He took advantage of more than 80 couples on their wedding days, robbing them not only of thousands of dollars but of, more importantly, those priceless memories," Coakley said Thursday.
Coakley said her office got 84 complaints, including from a Waltham couple who paid $1,000 but never got video footage from their May 2012 wedding.
"It’s been devastating," 25-year-old Lauren Baldner said Thursday. "We just wanted to be able to preserve those memories."
Her husband Ryan said they’d like to someday show their children a video of their first dance and be able to remember all the details from that day.
"I would love to see my wife walk down that aisle again and I just hope that we can eventually get our wedding video back," he said.
The lawsuit also names Clark’s wife, Veronica Clark, and a company employee as defendants.
The business owner couldn’t be reached for comment Thursday, but Veronica Clark told The Associated Press she filed for divorce last year, had nothing to do with the videography business, and is herself a victim of her estranged husband’s scam.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.