Mount Greylock football stops Hoosac Valley, as Mountie win streak reaches 30

Saturday September 29, 2012

WILLIAMSTOWN -- Three plays was all Mount Greylock needed to show off the 1-2 punch that erased all doubt against Hoosac Valley on Friday night.

Already holding a 22-point halftime lead at Allen Field, the Mounties opened the second half with an Ethan Ryan run to the outside for 10 yards followed by a sprint up the gut for 20 yards from Daivon Clement. Ryan had his most spectacular run of the game on the very next play, a 44-yard touchdown sprint to the outside, vaulting an defender in mid-stride to cap an emphatic 30-0 victory.

"Daivon's definitely a power back and I'm more of an elusive back," Ryan said. "I think we complement each other well, even blocking wise. He's always there to make the stick and same for him if he ever needs it."

Ryan rolled to 148 yards on 14 carries, including two scores, while Clement added 83 yards and a touchdown on half as many carries in the 30th straight win for the Mounties (4-0, 4-0 Berkshire County). Quarterback Hank Barrett added a touchdown pass in the second quarter, finding Brett McCormack in the end zone to round out the scoring.

Hoosac (2-2, 2-2) was led by 55 yards rushing from Colby Gage, who filled in on a depleted Hurricanes roster. Hoosac coach Dayne Poirot said at least five players were missing on Friday, including an injured Tyler Mach who rushed for 112 yards the week before.

No matter who Poirot put on the field Friday, stopping Ryan and Clement was a tough task.

"They're great running backs and they broke tackles," Poirot said. "They gave us a tough time just by running hard and bouncing, keeping off the tackles. They kept their legs moving the whole time."

Greylock coach Shawn Flaherty said getting Clement big yardage up the middle had been a challenge at times this year. There was no such trouble on Friday, with the line opening up big holes for the fullback. Three of his seven carries were for more than 10 yards with two of those surpassing 20.

"It was open a lot tonight," Clement said. "A lot of it was due to the line. Matt Malloy, the center, he just always blew out the top guy that was right in front of me. He did a lot of work tonight so it was nice."

Hoosac couldn't replicate that kind of success. The Hurricanes struggled moving the ball, gaining just four first downs. Greylock's third score was set up by a blocked punt that gave the Mounties the ball 27 yards from the end zone.

Greylock, on the other hand, commanded the game from the beginning. The Mounties scored touchdowns on their first three possessions in the first half before Ryan's second scoring run pushed the lead to 30 points to open the second.

It was enough to put a rare smile on Flaherty's face.

"You got to look at how was the run being developed," Flaherty said. "You see the hit, the leg drive and that's all you can ask for. The result is Ethan and Daivon have big games. It's a testament to what the line has done and each week just pushing and pushing. They keep on improving.

"That's where you can be satisfied."

To reach Christopher James:,
(413) 496-6252.
On Twitter: @BECJ2K.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions