Mount Greylock girls lacrosse comes back, tops Wahconah


Photo Gallery | Mount Greylock girls lacrosse tops Wahconah

Video | Ari Walden scores the game-winning goal for Mount Greylock

Video | Emmy Cote scores to give Wahconah a 7-6 lead with 1:21 remaining.

WILLIAMSTOWN — A strong effort from visiting Wahconah almost resulted in Mount Greylock's first loss in a county game in three years.

But Ari Walden scored with 25.3 seconds remaining to seal an 8-7 victory for the Mounties over the Warriors on Wednesday. Greylock completed a comeback from three goals down in the second half to garner the win.

"We couldn't keep possession," Greylock coach Lindsey von Holtz said of the early struggles. "We weren't taking care of the ball. Each time we got it, we'd either rush to goal or rush the pass. Not make a good cut, something like that."

The Mounties figured it out, as Emma Polumbo led Greylock (8-0, 6-0 Berkshire League) with a hat trick and an assist while Sarah Stripp scored twice. Julia Whitney recorded nine saves, including some key ones, for the Mounties.

"We went into this game knowing that Wahconah is a really good team," Polumbo said. "We got off to a rough start, but after a little while we settled in. It all started to come together, we worked together well and got the hang of it."

For Wahconah (5-2, 1-1), Emmy Cote registered four goals and added an assist while Becky Steele scored once and contributed an assist.

The Warriors had a game plan of keeping possession, and it worked to near perfection through the first 30 minutes. Wahconah took a 3-2 lead into halftime and then scored twice in the first 5:14 of the second, making it 5-2.

But from there, Greylock mounted its comeback. Caroline Flynn got the Mounties within two after a free position goal in which the goalie had to line up behind her after committing a foul, leaving the net wide open for Flynn on the restart.

After she buried it, Stripp got on the board for the first time with 10:43 remaining, pulling Greylock within 5-4.

Polumbo completed her hat trick to tie it, 5-5, at the 9:57 mark, and that's when the back-and-forth affair really began.

Cote scored her third goal with 6:30 left followed by Stripp at the 3:35 mark. Cote then gave Wahconah the lead again, 7-6, with only 81 seconds left.

That's all the time Greylock needed, though, as Maggie Rorke scored with 55.2 seconds remaining and then Walden netted her aforementioned goal.

"We threw the ball away a little bit more," Wahconah coach Kathy Budaj said of the second half. "Our off-ball people were not getting open enough to help out the girl with the ball."

In the first half, the Mounties jumped out to a 1-0 lead only 15 seconds into the game when Polumbo scored. Wahconah took a 2-1 lead when Cote scored back-to-back goals, but Polumbo tied it with 9:44 remaining. The Warriors took a 3-2 lead into the break when Perin Genaway scored off a dish from Cote.

Greylock is back in action Friday at Lee while Wahconah travels to Pittsfield on the same day.

The Warriors and Mounties meet two more times in the regular season, with a rematch in Williamstown set for May 12 before the teams square off in Dalton 11 days later.



Wahconah goals — Emmy Cote 4, Becky Steele 1, Hannah Rueger 1, Perin Genaway 1. Wahconah assists — Cote 1, Steele 1.

Mount Greylock goals — Emma Polumbo 3, Sarah Stripp 2, Caroline Flynn 1, Ari Walden 1, Maggie Rorke 1. Mount Greylock assists — Polumbo 1.

Saves — W: Katie Bachli 5. MG — Julia Whitney 9.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions