New Marlborough fire displaces family of 3


NEW MARLBOROUGH -- A mother and her two teenage children were left homeless after an electrical fire heavily damaged their house on Konkapot Road on Sunday morning, local fire officials said.

No one was injured in the fire, which broke out shortly before 9 a.m. at 327 Konkapot Road and quickly spread heavy smoke throughout the two-story wooden structure, according to Fire Chief Peter Scala.

In addition to New Marlborough firefighters, the fire departments from Monterey, Sheffield, Canaan, Conn. and Norfolk, Conn. were called in to battle the blaze.

The nearly 50 firefighters at the scene spent the rest of the morning dousing the flames and clearing the house of the smoke.

Despite the estimated $80,000 to $110,000 worth of damage, Scala said firefighters were able to save the building, in part, because National Grid cut power to the house before firefighting efforts began.

"You hate to dump water on an electrical fire," he said. "It was one of those fires where we could have easily lost the house."

An overheated electrical cord in the basement sparked the fire, according to an investigator with the State Fire Marshal's office.

Fire officials said the Regan family, who lived in the structure, and their pets escaped uninjured, but two firefighters were treated for minor heat exhaustion at the scene.

The family is staying with a relative in town, while the Berkshire County Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing the victims with food, clothing and other assistance to help them recover from the fiery disaster.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions