No bail for Dalton man accused in convenience store thefts


PITTSFIELD -- A Dalton man, who police say stole cash from two separate convenience stores in Berkshire County early Monday, is being held without bail following his arraignment in Central Berkshire District Court.

Police and prosecutors say 31-year-old Mahadi Thompson stole money from the register at O'Connell's Convenience Plus on Tyler Street at about 2:40 a.m. and then committed a similar crime two hours later at the 7-Eleven on Columbia Street in Adams.

According to police probable cause report, Thompson stole about $60 from the register at the Convenience Plus when the cashier turned his back to get Thompson an item he had asked for. At the 7-Eleven, Thompson allegedly made off with nearly $600.

He was arrested without incident by the Pittsfield Police after a traffic stop on Linden Street a few hours later.

The alleged crimes were jointly investigated by the Pittsfield and Adams police with the assistance of the Massachusetts State Police.

On Monday afternoon, Thompson pleaded not guilty to a single count of larceny from a person, a felony, related to the alleged crime in Pittsfield. He is scheduled to be arraigned on similar charges in Northern Berkshire District Court on Wednesday.

According to Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Mary-Elizabeth Mack, Thompson admitted to police he was the person who stole from the stores and that he was addicted to crack cocaine.

"He was feeding his addiction," said Mack.

Thompson's attorney, Kenneth Warren Jr., told the court his client had been cooperative with the police, had long-standing ties to the community and would show up in court when required. He asked for a nominal bail in the case.

District Court Judge Charles W. Groce III set bail at $25,000 and also revoked Thompson's bail on two open cases at the behest of the DA's office.

Because of the bail revocation, Thompson can be held for up to 60 days without bail. He is scheduled to be back in court later this month for a pretrial hearing.

The judge cited Thompson's criminal record, including cases from Connecticut and Georgia, and the safety of the community as reasons for his actions.

According to Eagle archives, Thompson has a number of prior arrests going back several years. In 2007, he admitted to a breaking and entering in Richmond and the theft and sale of more than $150,000 in silverware and jewelry. He was sentenced to 18 months in jail on that occasion.

To reach Andrew Amelinckx:,
or (413) 496-6249.
On Twitter: @BE_TheAmelinckx


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions