Nobody's satisfied after Lenox, Wahconah girls soccer teams tie

Wednesday October 3, 2012

DALTON -- On a dreary Tuesday afternoon, neither team walked off the soccer field losers. That was small consolation to the coaches of the Lenox or Wahconah Regional girls.

Shannon Lussier's direct kick five minutes into the second half knotted the game for the Warriors and was the final tally in a 1-1 tie.

"We've got to raise soccer IQs," Wahconah coach Pat West said. "They have an idea they want to pass to space, but they don't quite know where the space is and they don't know when. We have to get there."

Lenox coach Matt Cote didn't need much time to think when he was asked after the game if this was a good tie or not.

"My girls played hard, but they didn't play well," Cote said. "For us to come away without a victory is very, very disappointing."

Especially for a Lenox team that needed only three minutes to get on the scoreboard.

Alessandra Arace had the ball for Lenox just past the midfield line and she sent the ball ahead to Jen Delasco. Delasco beat the Wahconah defenders and tucked a shot into the lower right corner past Warriors goalkeeper Jamie Downer.

Cote said one of the more frustrating aspects of the contest was that was not Lenox's only chance to score. The Millionaires would either miss the net or a Wahconah keeper would make a save.

"We had five or six spectacular chances and we connected on none of them," said Cote.

Perhaps the most spectacular of those chances came with six minutes remaining in the contest.

Lenox's Josie Marshall served the ball from the left wing at midfield ahead for Tova Brown on the right. The Lenox forward got to the ball and was met by Wahconah goalie Payton Hines, who made the stop.

"This kid over here has had a bad ankle," West said of Hines, who sprained an ankle during a preseason scrimmage. "As a result [Downer] has been in and doing a great job. The ankle is better and it's a nice thing to have two keepers."

Hines was tested as early as the third minute of the second half and had four saves in the final 40 minutes. None, however, was as big as the stop on Brown.

"I just decided to go for it and not hesitate. We had contact, which was good. Because that meant the ball was somewhere near me, and I was able to get it," said Hines. "It's a big reaction. I don't think often on those saves."

Wahconah's tying goal came off a direct free kick. A Lenox foul was whistled in the fifth minute of the second half and Lussier took the shot from about 30 yards out. Her blast hit underneath the crossbar and deflected past Lenox keeper Kathy Prescott and into the net.

Prescott finished up with two saves, both in the second half.


Lenox 1 0 -- 1

Wahconah 0 1 -- 1

First half

L -- Jen Delasco (Alessandra Arace), 3:41.

Second half

W -- Shannon Lussier (DK), 45:03.

Saves -- L: Kathy Prescott 2. W: Jamie Downer 2, Payton Hines 4.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions