Noise complaint leads to stabbing at Pittsfield party


PITTSFIELD -- A noise complaint about a loud party led to a stabbing and a man's arrest on drug charges over the weekend, according to police. The defendant, who police believe was involved in the attack, is currently out on bail.

Pittsfield Police who were investigating a stabbing outside a large house party at 51 McArthur St. pulled over a Jeep driven by Kayf C. DeVaughn, 19, of South Onota Street, at about 11:30 p.m. on Saturday. Officers allegedly found an open bottle of Hennessy cognac in the vehicle and arrested DeVaughn on a charge of a being a minor transporting alcohol. Police also turned up what they determined was 56 ecstasy pills with a street value of more than $800 and believe DeVaughn was selling the drug at the party, according to a police report.

DeVaughn also was charged with one count of possession of a Class B substance with the intent to distribute.

A passenger in the Jeep, Rayquan B. Watford, 20, of 147 Dewey St. was arrested on a warrant for driving with a suspended license. A third man in the Jeep was not arrested.

Just prior to the traffic stop, officers had arrived outside of the McArthur Street residence and discovered between 60 and 80 people leaving the party and a man with a stab wound.

According to Pittsfield Police Det. Captain Patrick F. Barry, a 28-year-old had called police to complain about the noise at the party and then confronted partygoers as they were leaving. A fight ensued, he said, and the man was stabbed in the side.

The victim was transported to Berkshire Medical Center for "non-life threatening" injuries, has been released and is "expected to make a full recovery," according to Barry.

The three occupants of the Jeep are suspected of being involved in the stabbing, but no charges have been filed in the case.

On Monday, DeVaughn and his attorney, Lori H. Levinson, appeared in Central Berkshire District Court before Judge Fredric D. Rutberg, pleaded not guilty to two charges and was released on $280 cash bail.

Levinson did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Watford pleaded guilty to a charge of driving with a suspended license on Tuesday and was ordered to pay a fine.

DeVaughn is scheduled to be back in court later this month.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions