North Adams bar brawl participant gets year continuation


PITTSFIELD -- A Pittsfield man who police said was part of a brawl outside of a North Adams bar last summer could have his charges dismissed if he stays out of trouble for a year.

Quintin J. Sumpter, 25, of John Street, was one of five men involved in a fight outside of the Artery Lounge in North Adams in the early morning hours of June 15 that left the victim with eight stab wounds, according to the Berkshire District Attorney's Office,

Second Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Robert W. Kinzer III said the fight began after words were exchanged between two groups of people in a crowd of about 30 outside the Union Street bar.

Derrick Borum, 42, of North Adams, was attacked after he tripped and fell while trying to back up, Kinzer said. Several people rushed forward and attacked Borum, including Sumpter, who punched and kicked him.

It was Messiah Grandson, 22, also of John Street in Pittsfield, who stabbed Borum, the prosecutor said, adding that none of the others were aware Grandson had a knife or planned to stab him.

During the fracas, Johnny Nieves, 39, of Burbank Street, Pittsfield, struck Borum with a beer bottle, which bounced off the man's shoulder, hitting 23-year-old Brittany Gresser in the forehead and causing a large gash.

Brandon Green, 22, of Myrtle Street, Pittsfield, also charged in the attack, suffered a stab wound to the leg.

Quintin Sumpter's brother, Steven Sumpter, 20, was charged with assault and battery for attempting to initiate a second fight with a man who was not injured in the exchange.

In Berkshire Superior Court on Tuesday, Quintin Sumpter pleaded to facts sufficient for a finding of guilt on charges of felony assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (shod foot) and assault and battery.

Kinzer, citing the nature of the allegations, asked the court to find the defendant guilty on the misdemeanor assault and battery charge and give him a year of probation. The prosecutor and Sumpter's attorney, Thomas C. Doyle, presented an agreed-upon resolution of a one-year continuation without a finding of guilt on the felony.

Doyle said his client was a college graduate with a good employment record and no criminal history. He said Sumpter had an opportunity to try out for a European football team, the Cologne Falcons, and that a conviction could cause problems with getting a travel visa.

Judge John A. Agostini, pointing to Sumpter's lack of a criminal record and good work history, gave him continuations without a finding of guilt on both charges. If Sumpter stays out of trouble for a year the charges will be dismissed.

Sumpter was one of the last defendants to plead in the case.

Grandson is scheduled for a change of plea hearing on July 29.

In March, Nieves pleaded guilty to three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and one count of assault and battery and was sentenced to 45 days in jail and two years of probation.

Green pleaded guilty to assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in February and was given a year of probation.

In December, Steven Sumpter had a charge of misdemeanor assault and battery continued without a finding of guilt for six months.

The investigation was conducted by members of the North Adams Police Department and state police detectives assigned to the District Attorney's Office.

To reach Andrew Amelinckx:
or (413) 496-6249.
On Twitter: @BETheAmelinckx


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions