North Adams man arrested for indecent exposure day he was to start prison sentence


PITTSFIELD — On the morning a North Adams man was supposed to begin a 4- to 5-year prison sentence, he was arrested on new charges including indecent exposure for urinating in a police station.

The June 2 arrest of Joseph Wiggins, 39, may also have a chilling effect on the granting of sentencing stays in the Berkshire Superior Court.

"That practice is over," said Judge John Agostini.

Agostini agreed to let Wiggins remain free between his May 3 guilty plea on a charge of being a career armed felon and June 2.

The judge said it was the second time in the last seven months that he'd granted a defendant a stay of sentencing, only to see the person arrested on new charges during the interim.

"This is ridiculous," he said.

Wiggins pleaded guilty to being a career armed felon after police found about 150 rounds of illegal ammunition during a May 2015 raid of his home.

At about 1:49 a.m. on June 2, North Adams Police saw Wiggins and a woman walking together on Holden Street about 10 minutes after other officers had spoken to the couple regarding a report of a domestic argument and cleared the scene.

Police said the woman was screaming, crying and had blood on her chin.

Wiggins also had a bloody nose and a small scratch under his eye, according to police.

Wiggins allegedly refused to answer questions about the injuries except to say they were arguing and trying to have a good last night before he had to go to state prison.

The woman admitted to punching Wiggins in the nose during the argument.

While being booked at the station, Wiggins allegedly began urinating on the floor of the North Adams Police Department's booking area while telling officers they should have brought him to the bathroom.

Wiggins was charged with disorderly conduct, indecent exposure and malicious destruction of property. That case remains open, according to the Berkshire District Attorney's office.

In September 2015, Lemarr S. Talley pleaded guilty to cocaine trafficking and heroin possession and was sentenced to 2 1/2 to 3 years in prison.

He was granted a stay of that sentence until January 2016. He was arrested in mid-November 2015 on a charge of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute.

Talley pleaded guilty in January to the new charge, and sentenced to 3 1/2 to 5 years in state prison to run concurrently with his earlier sentence.

Contact Bob Dunn at 413-496-6249.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions