North Adams man denies he had role in city robbery, home invasion


PITTSFIELD -- A North Adams man accused of participating in an armed home invasion and robbery at a Quincy Street residence in North Adams early Tuesday is being held without bail after pleading not guilty to a felony and a misdemeanor.

On Thursday in Central Berkshire District Court, William J. Waterhouse III, 19, of West Shaft Drive, was detained without bail on a possible probation violation and was also given $10,000 cash bail on his new case by Judge Paul M. Vrabel. Waterhouse denied charges of home invasion and larceny under $250.

Police and prosecutors allege that on Tuesday at about 1 a.m., three men broke into a Quincy Street home in North Adams, ordered the residents to get on the ground, threatened to kill them, and robbed four people of a little more than $100 and a cellphone.

The suspects' faces were obscured by masks, and one of the men was carrying what the residents believed was a machete, but turned out to be a 12-inch steel file with a pointed end, according to a North Adams police report.

The weapon and the masks were later recovered by the police.

According to the report, Waterhouse was connected to the crime and was arrested at the North Adams police station on Wednesday after speaking with detectives there. He denied knowing that there was going to be a robbery and did not go into the house, he allegedly told investigators.

On Thursday, he was held on a probation detainer without the right to bail until Tuesday when he will be in North Adams court. The judge also put bail on the case, but the defendant will be allowed to argue for lower bail at his next court appearance.

The earlier case for which he is on probation was for charges of larceny and malicious destruction of property, according to court documents.

The probable cause report lists three others as possible suspects in the case, but it was unclear if any of them had been arrested as of Thursday evening.

The North Adams Police wouldn't comment on the case, telling The Eagle that it was an ongoing investigation involving multiple suspects.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions