November trial seen for city man accused of Pittsfield shooting death
PITTSFIELD — Prosecutors are anticipating a November trial for Thomas Newman, the man accused of shooting Keenan S. Pellot Jr. to death last year.
Newman, 19, of Pittsfield, is being held without bail on a charge of murder in connection with Pellot's slaying and a charge of armed assault to murder for allegedly shooting a second man — who survived — during the same July 31 incident on Tyler Street.
He also faces a charge of unlicensed possession of a firearm.
During a brief status hearing in Berkshire Superior Court on Tuesday, First Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Paul Caccaviello said he estimates Newman's trial should last about six days.
Newman fled the city following the shootings and was arrested days later in New York.
Court documents obtained by The Eagle do not clarify a motive, but in the days following the shooting, Pellot's mother, Carey Pilot, told The Eagle that Newman was dating Pellot's sister and that she believed the shooting resulted from a "family issue."
A final pretrial conference in the case was set for Oct. 18.
Contact Bob Dunn at 413-496-6249.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.