Overheated furnace sparks basement fire

Posted

PITTSFIELD — An overheated furnace sparked a basement fire that chased a city family into the frigid air late Tuesday night.

At 11:12 p.m., the Pittsfield Fire Department responded to 75 Appleton Ave., near Pittsfield High School, where firefighters found smoke in the basement and the first floor of the single family dwelling, according to fire officials. Firefighters quickly doused the fire and ventilated the house to clear the air. Local fire investigators determined the boiler for the furnace had no water causing the heat from the pipes to ignite the insulation.

No injuries were reported and the residents were allowed back in the house as emergency repairs were expected to the heating system.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions