Pittsfield fire department quickly contained overnight house fire


PITTSFIELD — One man was injured overnight when he tried to put out a room fire believed to be caused by a cigarette.

According to a report from the Pittsfield Fire Department, Deputy Fire Chief Andrew Stephenson led a response around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday to a two-family, 2 1/2 story home, located at 53 Dawes Ave.

The fire was found in a storage room on the top floor of the home, which also had a living space for one of the tenants. The house was occupied by three people at the time of the fire.

The fire was brought under control and extinguished by fire crews shortly after arrival. The contents in the storage room sustained the most damage, with some minor damage done to the structure of the house. The fire department reported that the cause was the "improper disposal of a cigarette."

The department also said that one of the occupants burned his hands while attempting to extinguish the fire. He was initially treated on the scene by County Ambulance before seeking his own transport to Berkshire Medical Center for further care.

All of the occupants were able to find housing for the rest of the night.

Deputy Chief Stephenson deemed that the house will likely be habitable after some follow up inspections scheduled for today.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions