Pittsfield home sustains $50K in damages during Sunday fire

Posted
Tuesday January 15, 2013

PITTSFIELD -- An electrical problem is to blame for the fire that damaged the home of a mother and her two children over the weekend, city fire officials said on Monday.

According to Pittsfield Deputy Fire Chief Mark Cancilla, investigators have confirmed the blaze began on the second floor of the house at 197 Montgomery Ave. Extension late Sunday afternoon.

"We believe it’s electrical in nature [because] a hole burned through the floor between the two [rear] bedrooms," Cancilla said.

Around 4:20 p.m. on Sunday, Victoria Pagan returned home to the sound of smoke alarms going off and smoke, city fire officials said. Pagan rushed in to save the family dog before calling 911.

No one was home at the time. Pagan’s children were staying with a relative when the fire broke out, Cancilla said.

Fifefighters arrived to find thick smoke and flames coming from the second floor and attic of the 2 1/2-story wood structure.

The intense blaze prompted Cancilla to call for a second alarm, summoning all 18 firefighters on duty to the scene.

They needed 30 minutes to bring the fire under control and kept it confined to a rear bedroom.

City fire officials estimate the damage at $50,000 and said the house is insured. Pagan and her children are staying with relatives.

To reach Dick Lindsay:
rlindsay@berkshireeagle.com,
or (413) 496-6233.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions