Pittsfield man arraigned on assault charges after allegedly striking woman in head with rock


PITTSFIELD >> When police responded to Reed Street Saturday afternoon, they found a woman bleeding from a head wound, allegedly caused by a large rock thrown by Brian Phillips.

"He's done this before," she told police.

Phillips, 51, of Pittsfield is now being held without bail for three months amid accusations he attacked the same woman twice since mid-June.

Phillips is accused of striking the woman in the back of her head with a work boot on June 15, following an argument which began the previous evening.

According to police, Phillips left about 1 a.m., and returned about four hours later, continuing the argument.

The woman said she felt blood running down the back of her head after being struck and Phillips allegedly told her to tell any EMTs or first responders her head injury was due to a fall.

According to the victim, Phillips refused to call for an ambulance after she told him she wasn't going to lie about how she got hurt.

After about an hour, the woman called for a cab to transport her to Berkshire Medical Center and she reported the incident to police after being treated and released.

In Central Berkshire District Court Wednesday, Phillips' attorney Ryan Bausch said Phillips actually tried to call the police, but dialed the wrong number and said there is information stored on Phillips' phone which supports that claim.

Phillips was arraigned on that charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on June 16 and released on the conditions he not abuse the woman and that he have no contact and stay away from her.

Phillips is now accused of violating that condition of release by allegedly throwing the rock at the same woman's head on July 30, also following an argument.

Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Katy Innes said the accusations suggest a pattern of behavior on Phillips' part,

"When he drinks, he fights with her and he hits her," she said.

Bausch said there was a lack of independent identification of Phillips as the suspect, aside from the alleged victim who told police she did not want to press charges.

Innes said the violent nature of the alleged attacks and the victim's injuries were concerning.

"This was not a slap on the arm or a tiny shove," Innes said, adding she believed Phillips would not abide by release conditions set by the court.

Judge William Rota revoked Phillips' bail for 90 days on the earlier case and warned him again about having no contact with the alleged victim upon his eventual release.

"She comes near you, you turn and run down the street," Rota warned.

Phillips is due back in court on Sept. 9 for a pretrial hearing.

Contact Bob Dunn at 413-496-6249.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions