Pittsfield man denies he attacked someone in broad daylight

Saturday March 30, 2013

PITTSFIELD -- Following an alleged daylight beating on a busy city street, one man is being held without bail while a second man has a warrant out for his arrest.

On Friday, Daniel S. Balardini, 30, of Pittsfield, pleaded not guilty in Central Berkshire District Court to single charges of assault and battery and disorderly conduct. He had his bail revoked on an unrelated pending case at the request of the Berkshire District Attorney’s Office.

According to a Pittsfield Police report, just before 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, Pittsfield Police Investigator John Mazzeo, working in plain clothes, was inside the Crawford Square building at 137 North St. when he witnessed Balardini approach another man, punch him in the face and throw him against the building’s entrance. A second suspect, 17-year-old Jordan Hill of Springfield, also began punching and kicking the man.

The investigator pulled them apart, but they again launched into an attack on the man, said police. Mazzeo was able to separate them a second time. When more police officers arrived, the suspects allegedly fled. Balardini was arrested after he was found ducking behind a car on Depot Street. Hill was taken into custody after a brief foot pursuit.

The alleged victim suffered minor injuries, including a black eye, but refused to give a statement to police, according to the report.

On Friday, Balardini’s attorney, Kenneth G. Warren Jr., told the court that there was "bad blood" between his client and the alleged victim and that the other man "instigated" the incident.

Judge Fredric D. Rutberg revoked Balardini’s bail from an October 2012 case in which he was charged with two counts of assault and battery on a police officer for allegedly fighting with two Pittsfield officers after a traffic stop on Burbank Street. He was simultaneously Tased by the two officers in that incident, according to a police report. Warren told the court the stop was illegal.

"I didn’t do that," Balardini loudly proclaimed in court before being quieted down.

The judge revoked the defendant’s bail because of his "violent" history, he said. Balardini can be held without bail for 60 days. He is expected back in court May 21.

Hill was released from custody Thursday night. He initially showed up for court, but disappeared before his arraignment. A non-bailable warrant was issued by the judge. Hill is facing assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, and disorderly conduct charges.

He also has an outstanding warrant out of Hampden Juvenile Court, according to court documents.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions