Pittsfield triple homicide suspect Hall claims innocence in letter


Read Adam Lee Hall's letter to the editor here.

PITTSFIELD -- For the first time outside of the courtroom, Adam Lee Hall says he has been falsely charged with the murder of three Pittsfield men in 2011. He also denies police claims that he tried to become an FBI informant, and says he has been visited by spirits that drew him to Mormonism, which he claims his jailers are keeping him from practicing.

"I'm innocent and I can prove it completely," Hall, 36, of Peru, said in a hand-written letter to The Eagle from the Plymouth County Correctional Facility.

He is being held without bail on multiple charges, including murder, kidnapping and witness intimidation. He wrote that he is looking forward to his trial and to proving his innocence, but did not elaborate in his letter.

A pretrial hearing in his case is scheduled for Berkshire Superior Court on May 22, at which time a tentative trial date might be set.

Alan J. Black, Hall's lawyer, would not comment on the letter or its contents.

Hall's letter "does not deserve a comment," Berkshire District Attorney David F. Capeless told The Eagle.

Hall, who police say was a ranking member of the local Hells Angels chapter, along with David Chalue, 46, of North Adams, and Caius Veiovis, 32, of Pittsfield, are charged with the kidnappings and murders of David Glasser, Edward Frampton and Robert Chadwell in August 2011.

Hall and his co-defendants have pleaded not guilty and have been held for more than 19 months in jail.

"I can't believe they are holding my two friends! That's a crime!" Hall wrote.

In the letter, Hall wrote that he's "been dehumanized" and that because of "a very one-sided [police] investigation" the case will remain unsolved and "the ones who did this" will get away.

"If the cops weren't so blinded by their own ambitions, they would have solved the case and the families would get justice," he wrote.

In a separate preamble to The Eagle that accompanied the letter, Hall wrote that the allegations made by police that he has tried to become an FBI informant were untrue.

"For the record, the FBI stuff was pure crap. But I give the cops credit for originality," he wrote.

According to a state police probable cause report, in September 2010, Hall attempted to become an FBI informant in an apparent bid to avoid prison by trading information he claimed could "take down" other Hells Angels.

Police allege there were two September 2010 meetings between Hall and the FBI. Police said Hall said he would wear a wire and could provide information on the motorcycle club's alleged drug dealing, illegal firearm sales and other crimes, in exchange for reduced charges and being released from jail. These claims predate the homicide charges.

The FBI turned down Hall because he was deemed to be "much too dangerous" and uncontrollable, according to the report.

In his letter to the paper, which is published in today's Eagle, Hall said he is a Mormon who has had visions, but denies he is trying to make a bid for an insanity plea.

"I was visited by spirits when I was a kid and they told me to wash myself in the Mormon Church," Hall said.

He maintains that he was visited by Fly Smith, a Cherokee chief who died in 1838 as a result of the hardships he suffered on the infamous Trail of Tears, a forced relocation of Native Americans from the southeastern U.S. to what is now Oklahoma.

Hall writes that he was also visited by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, and alleges he is a descendant of both men. He wrote that he was baptized a Mormon in New Jersey, but then "left the church to learn about the real world."

He said that while incarcerated, he was visited by the angel Moroni who told him "long before" the presidential election that Mitt Romney wouldn't be elected until "he gives the silent majority his attention." Moroni is the heavenly messenger who visited Joseph Smith in Mormon religious belief.

"I'm sure you think that's crazy, but I know it's true. I saw it as it was told to me by Moroni, as I sat in my cell in Ludlow," said Hall.

Hall alleges that while being transported from Ludlow to Plymouth, a cross he wore around his neck was taken, that he is being prevented from getting a Mormon Bible while at the jail, and that he is "deathly sick" and hasn't been taken to the hospital.

"So much for the whole religious freedom idea this country was built on!" Hall wrote.

John Biertwell, the public information officer for the Plymouth Sheriff's Department, confirmed that Hall was moved from Ludlow to Plymouth in March. He couldn't say why Hall was transferred to a different jail.

As to the allegations, Biertwell said that "in general terms" if an inmate has a complaint concerning their treatment, they contact their lawyer who files a motion to seek redemption. In Hall's case, no such motion has been filed.

Police and prosecutors say Hall, Chalue and Veiovis kidnapped, killed and dismembered the victims, and then disposed of their remains in 14 garbage bags that were later discovered buried on private property in Becket.

Glasser was allegedly killed to prevent him from testifying in an upcoming trial and the other two men were killed to prevent there being any witnesses.

To reach Andrew Amelinckx:
or (413) 496-6249.
On Twitter: @BETheAmelinckx


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions