Police: Man caught with loaded gun while leaving Pittsfield house party


PITTSFIELD -- A Pittsfield man with a history of violence is being held without bail on gun charges after he was allegedly caught with a loaded .44-caliber gun while leaving a house party early Sunday.

Bayshawn Irvis, 23, of Parker Street, pleaded not guilty to two felonies and a misdemeanor on Monday in Central Berkshire District Court and had his bail on an earlier domestic abuse case revoked by Judge Fredric D. Rutberg. Irvis can be held for up to 60 days. After that time, he will have to come up with $1,000 to be released from jail.

According to a Pittsfield Police report, officers were breaking up a large party on Lincoln Street about 1 a.m. Sunday when they "heard people screaming and what sounded like a fight" and found between 10 and 15 people "swearing at each other."

Police said they got a tip that Irvis had threatened to shoot someone at the party and was carrying a gun in a black bag. On Second Street, officers pulled over a car in which Irvis was a passenger and allegedly discovered a loaded Ruger .44 Magnum. Police said Irvis admitted the bag was his.

Irvis' attorney, William D. Barry, told the court that his client was not found with the gun on him, but rather the weapon was on the floor of the car. Besides Irvis, three women were in the car, according to the police report.

"This is a very triable case," said the lawyer.

The bail revocation came at the request of the Berkshire District Attorney's Office, which pointed to four previous convictions on "crimes of violence" and the nature of the new charges as reasons for pulling the bail.

Irvis pleaded not guilty to carrying a loaded firearm without a license, carrying a firearm without a license, and failure to surrender a firearm. The last charge is related to Irvis not turning his gun over to police in relation to a restraining order taken out against him by a former girlfriend, according to the report.

In August, Irvis slammed a woman into a couch and stomped on her back, according to the DA's office. He is scheduled to go to trial this June on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery.

Irvis will be back in court on Feb. 20 for his newest case.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions