State OKs 11 pot dispensaries, rejects others
BOSTON (AP) -- Eleven medical marijuana dispensaries have been cleared to move forward in Massachusetts while several others that had initially been given the green light to proceed were rejected after a further review, state public health officials announced Friday.
The process had been on hold for several months while the state worked to verify information provided in the applications of 20 companies that were initially given provisional clearance for licenses in January.
The nine rejected dispensaries include both applicants in the city of Boston and three under the umbrella of a company led by former U.S. Rep. William Delahunt.
A message seeking comment from Delahunt was not immediately returned.
Karen Van Unen, head of the state’s medical marijuana program, said the 11 remaining dispensaries survived the enhanced investigation process but will still be subjected to final inspections before they are granted final operating licenses. The proposed facilities are in Dennis, Salem, Haverhill, Northampton, Ayer, Newton, Lowell, Quincy, Brookline, Brockton and Milford.
Van Unen said the first dispensaries could open by November and the rest early next year. She said 97 percent of Massachusetts residents will live within 30 miles of one of the dispensaries.
Under a law approved by voters in November 2012, as many as 35 dispensaries in Massachusetts would be allowed to grow and sell marijuana for patients with certain medical conditions including cancer, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.
In addition to the two proposed facilities in Boston, others rejected were planning locations in Worcester, Fairhaven, Holyoke, Plymouth, Mashpee, Taunton and Cambridge.
"This process is designed to ensure only the highest quality applicants advance to meet the patient access and public safety needs of the Commonwealth," said Van Unen.
Officials said the further review of the companies included additional background checks on individuals and verification of information that was provided in the applications, including claims of community support.
Five other applicants who were not part of the 20 selected in January still have an opportunity to apply for licenses in counties that are not currently covered by a dispensary.
Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration had rejected calls, including from some lawmakers, to restart the licensing process from scratch after reports that some applicants may have provided false or misleading information.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.