The 413: Things to do in the Berkshires, May 26
The end of May is upon us, and the Memorial Day Weekend is giving many folks and extra day of R&R or time for play, so in addition to the region's Memorial Day events, here's a sampling of weekend happenings:
• The Dream Away Lodge music season is going at full-tilt. The upcoming lineup is as follows, with shows starting around 8 p.m., no cover: Providence, Rhode Island's ambient Vio/Mire plays on Thursday; the Berkshires' own Justin Hillman and Izzy Heltai join the Music Room on Friday; the Lodge is closed on Saturday for a private party, and re-opens on Sunday with The Fremonts, all the way from Boulder, Colo.
• The Tavern at The A in Pittsfield at 9 p.m. Friday will host the metal/hardcore rock lineup of Bomber: Motörhead Tribute, along with Thunderforge, Shredder and Sparkeater. There's a $7 cover for this event.
On Saturday, local country-rockers Bandit take the stage at 9:30 p.m. There's a $5 cover.
• The Guthrie Center in Housatonic at 8 p.m. presents Reinhardt, Ciccarelli and Kohrs, with special guests, The Corner Store Antiques. That's 13 band members on one stage. Tickets are $15 general admission, and doors open at 6.
• The 11th annual Richie duPont Award event features The Berkshire Jazz Collective (Andy Wrba, Bill Chapman, and Benny Kohn) at The Garage in the Colonial Theatre in Pittsfield. Festivities start at 7 p.m., and includes music, dancing, refreshments provided by Firefly, raffles, and a silent auction. Advance tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for ages 18 and under; or $20 and $15 respectively the day of the event. All proceeds benefit BTG's Richie duPont Award, created in memory of a talented young actor, to enable children to attend a BTG PLAYS! camp session.
• Live on North presents the Misty Blues Band from 7 to 11 p.m., at the Hotel on North in Pittsfield. No cover.
• Indie-rock's Luna returns to its 1990s lineup — Dean Wareham, Britta Phillips, Sean Eden, and Lee Wall — and to Mass MoCA at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 general admission to this Hunter Center/Courtyard C event in North Adams.
• Band of Lovers takes the window at 8 p.m. at Mission Bar + Tapas in Pittsfield.
• Christian rock fans can find the ninth annual Rock & Worship Party starting at 2 p.m., at 440 High St., in Dalton. The lineup includes: Collington, Kevin Schlereth, Chasing the Light, Trevor Hager, Trevor Heyd, Tom Miyashiro, Between Forever, Kardia, and the Rise of Synth after-party with G. Winnard and Jared Wisner. This event is free and open to the public by registration only: http://www.fuseconcerts.org/#!mday-registration/c13tn. The event includes free food, vendors, and family friendly activities.
• A Latin Dance Night will be held from 5 to 9 p.m., at the ITAM Lodge, 93 Waubeek Road, in Pittsfield. A salsa lesson will be offered at 5, followed by dancing to salsa, merengue, bachata, cha-cha, rumba, cumbia music and more. Tickets are $10 general admission, $8 for students, free for children under age 12. Fifteen percent of the proceeds will be donated to Berkshire Immigrant Center.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.