The Forum: Pittsfield families sought to host students from Spain
PITTSFIELD >> Massachusetts-based Carousel Student Tours Inc. is looking for families based in Pittsfield to help host five students and a chaperone visiting the Berkshires this September from Southern Spain.
Dates for hosting are Sept. 8 through 27. Hosts must provide a bed and meals for the teens. The students will spend their days in schools and on field trips, but it is expected that they will spend weeknights and weekends with their host families. All the students speak English and have their own insurance and spending money.
Program coordinator, Sue Boswell, says, "Host families can be any family, large or small, with any age children, or no children at all." Families are welcome to host up to two students.
The following students still need to find host families, as soon as possible:
• Alvario, 17, likes reading, tennis, movies, video games, travel; and wants a dog. He's used to living with his three sisters.
• Francisco Javier, 14, has three siblings. He likes soccer, music, sports, biking and animals, especially dogs and horses.
• Alejandro C.G., 13, likes riding his family's horses, playing tennis, basketball, running and travel.
• Ignacio, 15, likes tennis, soccer; music, including playing the flute, and making friends. He is used to living with his younger brother.
• Alejandro, 14, likes to play handball, listen to music, watch TV and travel.
• Chaperone Ollala, 24, loves kids, travel, volunteering, music and reading.
A host family meeting will be held with all the local families hosting the students, to go over guidelines, share ideas and important information, like the itinerary and emergency contact information.
Anyone interested in hosting a student or their chaperone should contact Sue Boswell at email@example.com or 978-835-0133.
To sign up to be a host family for these or other future exchange students, visit carousel-tours.com/applications.html to fill out the required host family application.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.