The town ...

Tuesday, June 12
During the 1800s, the town had six small elementary schools, which gradually closed down as the student population dwindled. Richmond Consolidated School, first built in 1937 and recently rebuilt and expanded at 1831 State Road (Route 41), now serves about 200 students from pre-K through 8th grade, including nearly 40 school-choice pupils, mostly from Pittsfield. The school defines its mission as "to provide opportunities for everyone to become happy, caring individuals, as well as academic achievers. As a community of learners, we are committed to creating a school climate that encourages positive self-esteem, critical thinking, responsibility, mutual respect, citizenship and a life-long love of learning." ... The Richmond Free Public Library at 2821 State Road (Route 41) circulates more than 10,000 books, 300 audios and nearly 400 videos. It's open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. It offers two public-access computers with high-speed Internet as well as Wi-Fi for laptops. ... A book discussion group for adults meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month; children's story time is held on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. ... Some residents have boxes at the Richmond Post Office, but home delivery is available throughout the town. Mail to homes in the southwest part of town use a West Stockbridge address and zip code (01266); those near Pittsfield use that city's address and its 01201 zip code. In the central portion of the town, residents have a Richmond address and zip code (01254). On Osceola Notch Road, homes just over the town line in Lenox also use the Richmond address. ... Fire Chief David Morrison (who's also the town clerk) heads a volunteer department of 28 volunteer firefighters and EMTs who serve as first responders on the ambulance squad. ... Police Chief William H. Bullett supervises the town's constables on work details and emergency traffic control situations, and cooperates with state police as needed in connection with traffic accidents and other public-safety situations. The constables also supervise the polls and perform a variety of other functions. ... Camp Russell, operated by the Boys and Girls Club of Pittsfield Inc., is on Richmond Pond (in the Richmond Shores area), and offers co-ed day camp, sports camp, recreation therapy, co-ed extended cap, co-ed basketball camp and adventure camp. Facilities include cabins, swimming pool, playing fields, hiking trails and lakeside waterfront. Select Board member Marguerite Rawson calls the spot "a gem, one of the most beautiful in Richmond." ... Stevens Glen, including a rocky waterfall, is open to the public under the management of the Berkshire Natural Resources Council and the Richmond Land Trust. The council acquired the property off Lenox Branch Road in 1996, saving it from development, and cleared a public trail. The area was the site of carriage parties and dances during the Gilded Age. The 128-acre property straddles the Richmond and West Stockbridge line. Lenox Mountain Brook flows over through Stevens Glen, falling down a 40-foot drop and over a series of cascades through a narrow gorge. In all, the water falls 100 feet over the course of 400 horizontal feet of stream flow. The Richmond Land Trust is the primary holder of the conservation restriction on the property, protecting it for all time. ... There are no eateries in the town, but numerous B&Bs operate in the town, including The Inn at Richmond and A Bed and Breakfast in the Berkshires, among others. ... The Robbins-Zust Marionettes, based on East Road, has operated since 1971; this summer, they are performing at Arlo Guthrie's Church on Division Street in the Van Deusenville section of Great Barrington.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions