Things to do in the Berkshires, Dec. 17
Well, whaddya know, winter's almost officially here, even though it far from feels like it, weather-wise. The calendar, however, says otherwise. So in the coming days, you'll find a mix of ongoing and holiday-themed events to see you through the last days of this season and to usher in the next. Here's just a sample of what's ahead:
• Casey's in Pittsfield has a whole lot going on. Tonight, DJ Mike Quinlan hosts karaoke, no cover. Mechanical Bull Night returns on Friday, with a $5 cover that includes pool. The biggest night will be Saturday, starting at 9 p.m., with the annual Customer Appreciation Christmas Bash, featuring giveaways, food, music by Beg2Differ and pool for a $5 cover.
• The sixth annual "Very Wrba Xmas" is coming around not for one but for two nights this year at Mission Bar + Tapas in Pittsfield. Andy Wrba will be joined Monday and Tuesday night at 8 p.m., featuring guests Chris Vecchia, Marisa Massery, Wayno, Tory Hanna, Billy Keane, Dan Holmes, Benny Fingers and more. There's a cover of $5 or a non-perishable food item. Info and reservations at Missionbarandtapas@gmail.com. Monday night is standing room only.
• Thursday Night Trivia with Marc and Jim returns to the Tavern at The A, at the G.E.A.A. in Pittsfield. Gaming starts at 6:45 p.m.
• The last Thurdsday Comedy Open Mic of the season with Seth Brown goes down at 7 p.m. at The Parlor Cafe in North Adams. Never a cover, but tips to cover house costs are always appreciated.
• Berkshire County jam bands, B.A. Dario and The Longview Gunslingers, will be playing at 8 p.m. at The Tavern at The A, at the G.E.A.A. in Pittsfield. There's a $12 cover at the door for this age 21 and up dance party.
• Beat the week's blues with a double bill of Misty Blues and Ed Moran's Blues Affair starting at 8 p.m. at the North Adams Eagles Club 310, located at 515 Curran Highway. There's an $8 cover at the door.
• Mezze Bistro + Bar in Williamstown invites you to get your glitter on and get on the dance floor to start the holidays off right. DJ BFG will be dropping beats at 10 p.m. 'til close. No cover for this age 21 and up affair.
You like the heavy? Joe Chaos and The Crossroads Cafe present "Chaos Christmas Party Episode II" starting at 8 p.m. in Pittsfield. The lineup includes Winter's Burden, Taste For Violence, Shredder and Not Your Best Idea. Tickets are $8 in advance, $10 at the door for this age 21 and up hardcore/metal show. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WordXWord wraps up 2015 with a Story Slam, starting at 3 p.m., with guest host James Burden at The Whitney Center for the Arts in Pittsfield. The event is free and open to all, but the theme is "strange holiday" and content may be more appropriate for mature audiences. To participate in the story slam, visit wxw365.org/story, or show up early to take part in an non-competitive open mic. Seasonal treats and beverages will be served.
The Guthrie Center in Great Barrington will host from 5 to 7:30 p.m., "Circle of Sound: A Global Sound Meditation in Honor of the Winter Solstice." Bring a drum, a singing/meditation bowl, or your own voice. The event is free and open to all, and donations to the center are welcome. Info: email@example.com or circleofsound.org.