Trial date set for man charged in human bones theft
WORCESTER, MASS. >> A trial date has been set for a Connecticut man charged with stealing human bones from a Massachusetts cemetery.
The Telegram & Gazette reports that a Worcester judge on Tuesday scheduled a Jan. 9 trial for 32-year-old Amador Medina. He was released on bail Friday.
Medina is charged with stealing eight skeletons from two mausoleums at Hope Cemetery in Worcester. He pleaded not guilty.
Authorities say Medina told investigators he was a practicing Santeria priest. Santeria mixes Roman Catholicism with a traditional African faith and is widely practiced in the Caribbean.
Medina's lawyer says the human remains found in his client's Hartford home last year have not been forensically connected to bones that were reportedly stolen.
Prosecutors dropped charges against a second suspect, Felix Delgado of Bridgeport.
Information from: Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, Mass.), http://www.telegram.com
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.