Trial in Springfield double shooting starts

Posted

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) -- A lawyer for a man charged with shooting two people in Springfield last year says his client was not even at the scene, let alone responsible for the shooting.

Jose Lopez is charged with two counts of armed assault with intent to murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and two counts of possession of a firearm without a license in connection with the April 2013 shootings of Juan Damiron and Chris Lopez. The Lopezes are not related.

Prosecutors in opening statements on Tuesday said Jose Lopez was seen on surveillance video shooting at the victims.

The Republican (http://bit.ly/1jya6zt ) reports that defense attorney Jared Olanoff says the man seen in the video is not his client, and Damiron opened fire first.

The shooting was drug-related.

------

Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions