Try something new this weekend in the 413
Here's just a sample of what's in store through the weekend:
- Shakespeare & Company, 70 Kemble St., in Lenox, will host its Winter Studio Festival of Plays on Saturday and Sunday, in the Elayne P. Bernstein Theatre. This weekend of staged readings will showcase a diverse array of playwrights and feature both emerging and established company artists. The Winter Studio Festival titles and times include: Saturday: 1 p.m., "St. Petersburg: 1913," by local playwright Robert Sugarman; at 4 p.m., "The Clean House" by Sarah Ruhl; and at 7 p.m. "Curse of the Starving Class" by Sam Shepard. On Sunday at 1 p.m., "Beyond the Veil" by Berkshire native Emily Devoti; and at 4 p.m., Chekov's classic, "The Cherry Orchard." Each reading will be followed by a post-show discussion.
Tickets are priced from $15 to $35, and are currently on sale at shakespeare.org or by calling 413-637-3353.
- Castle Street Cafe, 10 Castle St., Great Barrington, hosts live jazz every Friday and Saturday evening, starting around 8 p.m. This Friday, the Ted Perry Trio performs; on Saturday, it's the Alan Simon Trio. No cover.
"Brave New Jersey" will be screened at 7 p.m., at the Berkshire International Film Festival space, 40 Railroad St., Great Barrington. This film is a comedy about a small New Jersey town on the night of Orson Welles' legendary 1938 "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast, which led millions of listeners to believe the U.S. was being invaded by Martians. Admission includes at 6 p.m. wine and cheese reception and the film screening. General admission is $20.
- Six Depot Roastery Cafe, 6 Depot St., West Stockbridge, will host the Italian wine seminar, "10 Grape Varieties to Understand Italy," from 6 to 8 p.m., with Nejaimes Wine Cellar and Italian wine specialist, Ciro Pirone. Tickets are $35 per person and must be reserved in advance by calling 413-637-2221.
- The Barn at Egremont Inn, 17 Main St., South Egremont, welcomes the dance-worthy Latin and funk sounds of Rene Lopez at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15, and can be purchased at theegremontbarn.com.
- A "Full Moon Hot Toddy Snowshoe" event will be held from 7 to 9 p.m., at Bartholomew's Cobble, 105 Weatogue Road, Sheffield. Snowshoes can be rented there. The cost is $10 general admission; $5 for members of the Trustees of Reservations. Info: 413-298-3239, ext. 3013 or email@example.com.
- Local rock groups BA Dario and The Longview Gunslingers team up for a Friday the 13th show, starting at 8 p.m., at the Tavern at The A, 303 Crane Ave., Pittsfield. There's a $12 cover for this age 21 and up dance party.
- Snake House, a southern rock band, will swing through Casey's, 501 Dalton Ave., Pittsfield, starting at 10 p.m., There's a $5 cover for this age 21 and up party, which includes free pool.
- Local group Phil N The Void plays The P.N.A., 13 Victory St., Adams, at 9:30 p.m.
- Catch an evening of acoustic music, from 5 to 8 p.m., at the BOOM Room, Crawford Square, 137 North St., Pittsfield, with music by Mary Menatti, Marc Black, and Chad Tarves. Donations appreciated.
- Regional rockers, SHYNE, will play the Crossroads Cafe, 195 Onota St., Pittsfield, starting at 9 p.m. There's a $5 cover.
- Swing Dance Night returns to Dewey Hall, 91 Main St., Sheffield, starting at 8 p.m. with a beginner's lesson. One Straw Revolution will play live. All are welcome. No experience or dance partner necessary. Info: 413-717-1255
- Satellite Shine will play from 8 to 11 p.m., at Firefly Gastropub & Catering Co., 71 Church St., Lenox.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.