Update: Kitchen fire displaces two Pittsfield residents

Posted

PITTSFIELD — Two city residents are being housed by the Red Cross after a stove fire left their one-bedroom apartment on First Street uninhabitable Thursday.

Pittsfield Fire Department responded to the call at 5:12 p.m. at the second-floor apartment in a five-unit complex at 216 First St.

“Upon arrival we found the walls and ceiling, as well as the stove and kitchen cabinet, in flames,” said Michael Polidoro, deputy chief of the department.

Polidoro said responding firefighters extinguished the fire within minutes, attempting to use as little water as possible to limit water damage to the building. Still, the department estimates that $8,000 in damage was done.

The fire was believed to have been ignited by cooking oil, according to the fire report.

The apartment was deemed uninhabitable Thursday night and the two occupants of the apartment were relocated by the Red Cross. The rest of the building’s tenants were allowed to return.

Repairs will be made in the near-term by the owner of the building, Cavalier Management, Polidoro said.

The ceilings in the first-floor apartment also suffered minimal water damage, Polidoro said.

In addition to firefighters, the city’s building and health inspectors and representatives of Western Mass Electric Co. and Berkshire Gas responded to the scene.

“We left everything in working order,” Polidoro said.

To reach Phil Demers:
pdemers@berkshireeagle.com
or (413) 281-2859.
On Twitter: @BE_PhilD


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions