Update: Prosecution rests in Adam Lee Hall murder trial


SPRINGFIELD -- The prosecution has rested its case in the murder trial of Adam Lee Hall.

Berkshire District Attorney David F. Capeless presented his final witness in Hampden Superior Court on Thursday after nearly two weeks of testimony in the case.

The final witness, FBI Special Agent Eric Perry, testified to analysis of cellphone records and a technique called drive testing that he performed as part of the murder investigation.

Perry, a member of the agency's Cellular Analysis Survey Team, alleged his results corroborated testimony from prior prosecution witnesses.

The agent said by using phone records and software that ties GPS coordinates to specific cell towers used by a phone he was able to trace the general area where Hall's phone was on Aug. 27, 2011. He said about 9 p.m. that night the direction of travel was from the area of the Hells Angels clubhouse in Lee to the area of Steven Hinman's home in Lenox. In previous testimony it was alleged Hall left the clubhouse, drove to Hinman's house, where he had stashed some guns and then drove to Caius Veiovis' Pittsfield apartment, where he was seen cleaning one of the weapons.

Perry also testified he was able to track Hall's phone from Pittsfield to Canaan, N.Y., the next day, allegedly corroborating David Casey's testimony that Hall had come to his house and scared him into helping bury the remains of the three victims.

The agent said he was able to determine Hall's phone was in the area of the burial site in Becket and that he received texts from the phone of David Chalue around the time Casey alleged he and Hall were burying the bodies.

The first message sent just before noon reads: "Hey what's going on?"

The second message, from about 12:30 p.m. reads: "Dude, I'm ready to leave. I don't know what to tell you."

Capeless alleged that Chalue was acting as a look out while Hall and Casey buried the remains.

Under cross-examination by Hall's attorney, Alan J. Black, Perry said he couldn't say who was using the phones at the time or the exact location where the phones were being used.

The defense's case began with testimony from Dr. Jonathan Arden, a forensic pathologist who has a private consulting practice. He previously served as chief medical examiner for Washington, D.C. and as second in command to the chief medical examiner in New York City he told the jury.

Using autopsy reports, photographs, toxicology reports, the forensic anthropologist's report and various police-related reports he concluded that the dismemberment injuries of the three victims happened after death. He said he also concluded that Chadwell's abdominal injury happened after death.

Arden based this primarily on there being a lack of blood at the wound sites -- he referred to it as hemorrhaging -- which he said you would expect to see if they were sustained while the victims were alive.

He said he also he didn't find any evidence of torture. Neither did he find wounds consistent with .223 projectiles or with a hammer or any that could have been made with the spiked pieces of wood police say they found at Veiovis' apartment.

The toxicology reports showed the victims were positive for alcohol and the breakdown components for cocaine, he told the jury.

Under cross-examination by Capeless, Arden said he did not examine the remains in person, or consult with the medical examiner or forensic anthropologist. He issued his report about three days ago, after testimony from the prosecution's experts, he acknowledged.

The DA questioned the doctor on why he hadn't mentioned an abdominal wound on Frampton that was similar to Chadwell's. Arden answered he was writing a consulting report and not an autopsy report.

He conceded that being forced to watch a friend being shot, stabbed and beaten could be construed as torture and that decomposition can mask or obscure hemorrhage.

He said Frampton's abdominal wound probably occurred before he was sliced through crossways at the torso and that gunshot wounds to his arms could be considered defensive "in a very general sense."

The defense's case continues Friday. It is expected that the jury will begin deliberations Monday.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions