Western Mass. football media poll: Central holds top spot for second straight week
Week 2 of the Western Mass. football media poll sees a few movers and shakers, while the top of the list stays relatively intact.
For the second week in a row, Springfield Central earns the No. 1 spot with six of the eight first-place votes being casted in its favor. Central will get a chance to further cement its spot at the top of the poll with a Friday home game against No. 5 Westfield, which moved up three spots this week.
There are two other top-10 matchups on Friday, as No. 6 West Springfield welcomes No. 7 Wahconah and No. 8 South Hadley hosts No. 3 Northampton.
Taconic is once again the highest-ranked team from Berkshire County, slipping down to No. 4 in the poll despite coming off a resounding win at Belchertown. After a Week 1 trip to Cape Cod, the Braves are back outside the 413 this week as they head to St. Mary's (Lynn) on Saturday. Chicopee Comp sits alone in second this week, while Northampton's win over Longmeadow last week pushed the Blue Devils up to third.
Aforementioned Wahconah comes in at No. 7 for the second consecutive week, while Hoosac Valley (No. 9) and Pittsfield (No. 10) also earned spots in the top 10. Agawam and Palmer are the two teams just outside the top 10 this week.
1. Springfield Central (6) 77, LW: 1. Fri. vs. No. 5 Westfield
2. Chicopee Comp (1) 62, LW: T2. Fri vs. Chicopee
3. Northampton 61, LW: 4. Fri. at No. 8 South Hadley
4. Taconic (1) 57, LW: T2. Sat. at St. Mary's (Lynn)
5. Westfield 47, LW: 8. Fri at No. 1 Central
6. West Springfield 41, LW: 6. Fri. vs. No. 7 Wahconah
7. Wahconah 39, LW: 7. Fri. at No. 6 West Springfield
8. South Hadley 25, LW: 9. Fri. vs. No. 3 Northampton
9. Hoosac Valley 8, LW: NR. Bye week
10. Pittsfield 7, LW: NR. Fri. vs. Woodstock (Conn.)
Others receiving votes: Agawam 5, Palmer 4, Minnechaug 3, Chicopee 2, Turners Falls 2.
Voters: Jason Butynski (Greenfield Recorder), Stephen Dravis (iBerkshires), Akeem Glaspie (The Berkshire Eagle), Kyle Grabowski (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Adam Hargraves (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Howard Herman (The Berkshire Eagle), Joseph Rea (The Berkshire Eagle), Mike Walsh (Berkshire Courier).
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.