Western Mass. football media poll: Springfield Central earns top spot in inaugural rankings
After Week 1 of the high school football season, The Berkshire Eagle is introducing the newly-created Western Mass. Media Poll, which will vote on a weekly Top 10 of football teams from across Western Massachusetts. Voting is done by members of multiple organizations, including The Berkshire Eagle, the Greenfield Recorder, the Daily Hampshire Gazette, the Berkshire Courier and iBerkshires.
Springfield Central takes the top spot in the inaugural poll, bringing home five first-place votes among the eight-person panel. Chicopee Comp (T2nd), Taconic (T2nd) and Agawam (5th) also took first-place votes. The top five is rounded out by Northampton, which sits at No. 4 despite not picking up a first-place vote.
This weekend's action will see several of the top 10 teams face off, with the highlight coming as No. 4 Northampton hosts No. 10 Longmeadow tonight. No. 5 Agawam also travels to No. 8 Westfield.
(x) = first-place votes
1. Springfield Central (5) 67, Fri. vs. East Longmeadow
2. Chicopee Comp (1) 53, Fri. vs. Putnam
2. Taconic (1) 53, Fri. at Belchertown
4. Northampton 52, Fri. vs. Longmeadow
5. Agawam (1) 51, Fri. at Westfield
6. West Springfield 49, Fri. at Minnechaug
7. Wahconah 31, Fri. vs. Holyoke
8. Westfield 29, Fri. vs. Agawam
9. South Hadley 21, Fri. at Easthampton
10. Longmeadow 13, Fri. at Northampton
Others receiving votes: Pittsfield 4, East Longmeadow 3, Palmer 3, Putnam 3, Hoosac Valley 2, Mount Greylock 2, Turners Falls 2, Chicopee 1, Minnechaug 1.
Voters: Jason Butynski (Greenfield Recorder), Stephen Dravis (iBerkshires), Akeem Glaspie (The Berkshire Eagle), Kyle Grabowski (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Adam Hargraves (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Howard Herman (The Berkshire Eagle), Joseph Rea (The Berkshire Eagle), Mike Walsh (Berkshire Courier).