Western Mass. football media poll: Wahconah takes over No. 1 spot from Chicopee Comp
For the third consecutive week, there is a different No. 1 team in the Western Mass. football media poll.
Undefeated Wahconah takes over as the top team this week, bumping up from the No. 3 spot a week ago. Chicopee Comp, which unseated Springfield Central for the top spot last week, slides to No. 2 in the latest poll.
Northampton also slid a spot, from No. 2 to No. 3, while Taconic and Central round out the top 5 in the same spots the teams were in last week.
Turners Falls makes its first appearance in the poll at No. 8. Undefeated Mount Greylock also makes its first appearance in the poll, clocking in at No. 9.
There are plenty of top-10 matchups this week, highlighted by a Berkshire County showdown between No. 1 Wahconah and No. 4 Taconic in Dalton. No. 2 Chicopee Comp heads to No. 7 Agawam on Friday, and No. 3 Northampton heads to No. 6 Westfield on Friday night, as well.
1. Wahconah (3) 71 (LW 3), Fri. vs. No. 4 Taconic
2. Chicopee Comp (1) 70 (LW 1), Fri. at No. 7 Agawam
3. Northampton (2) 63 (LW 2), Fri. at No. 6 Westfield
4. Taconic (1) 60 (LW 4), Fri. at No. 1 Wahconah
5. Springfield Central (1) 53 (LW 5), Fri. vs. Minnechaug
6. Westfield 39 (LW 6), Fri. vs. No. 3 Northampton
7. Agawam 27 (LW 9), Fri. vs. No. 2 Chicopee Comp
8. Turners Falls 14 (LW N/R), Fri. vs. Franklin Tech
9. Mount Greylock 11 (LW N/R), Fri. at Mohawk
10. South Hadley 10 (LW 7), Fri. vs. Pittsfield
Others receiving votes: Longmeadow 7, Palmer 6, West Springfield 6, Frontier 2, Chicopee 1.
Voters: Jason Butynski (Greenfield Recorder), Stephen Dravis (iBerkshires), Akeem Glaspie (The Berkshire Eagle), Kyle Grabowski (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Adam Hargraves (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Howard Herman (The Berkshire Eagle), Joseph Rea (The Berkshire Eagle), Mike Walsh (Berkshire Courier).
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.