Western Mass. media football poll: Chicopee Comp takes over as No. 1 team
After becoming the first unanimous No. 1 team in the Western Mass. media poll last week, Springfield Central lost to Longmeadow 6-0.
Central drops to No. 5 in this week's ranking following the loss. The new No. 1 team is Chicopee Comp, despite only two first-place votes. Northampton, the No. 2 team this week, received three first-place votes.
Berkshire County squads No. 3 Wahconah and No. 4 Taconic round out the top four. Each received one first-place vote while No. 5 Central also got a first-place nod.
No. 6 Westfield, No. 7 South Hadley, No. 8 West Springfield, No. 9 Agawam and No. 10 Longmeadow round out this week's top 10. No. 8 Pittsfield and No. 10 Hoosac Valley dropped out after last week's losses.
There are three top-10 matchups this week: No. 10 Longmeadow at No. 1 Chicopee Comp, No. 7 South Hadley at No. 3 Wahconah and No. 8 West Springfield at No. 6 Westfield.
1. Chicopee Comp (2) 69 (LW 2), Fri. vs. No. 10 Longmeadow
2. Northampton (3) 66 (LW 3), Fri. at Putnam
3. Wahconah (1) 65 (LW 4), Fri. vs. No. 7 South Hadley
4. Taconic (1) 61 (LW 5), Sat. at Hoosac Valley
5. Springfield Central (1) 54 (LW 1), Fri. at Holyoke
6. Westfield 32 (LW 6), Fri. vs. No. 8 West Springfield
7. South Hadley 28 (LW 9), Fri. at No. 3 Wahconah
8. West Springfield 20 (LW 7), Fri. at No. 6 Westfield
9. Agawam 15 (LW unranked), Fri. vs. Minnechaug
10. Longmeadow 13 (LW unranked), Fri. at No. 1 Chicopee Comp
Others receiving votes: Turners Falls 9, Mount Greylock 6, Palmer 2.
Voters: Jason Butynski (Greenfield Recorder), Stephen Dravis (iBerkshires), Akeem Glaspie (Berkshire Eagle), Kyle Grabowski (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Adam Hargraves (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Howard Herman (Berkshire Eagle), Joseph Rea (Berkshire Eagle), Mike Walsh (Berkshire Courier).
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.