Williamstown couple face multiple charges for hit-and-run


Photo Gallery | John and Sally Gould arraignment for alleged hit-and-run

PITTSFIELD — A Williamstown couple facing multiple charges in connection with a hit-and-run accident that left a woman in coma and attempts to cover it up have been indicted by a grand jury and arraigned in Berkshire Superior Court.

Sally J. Gould, 71 and John T. Gould, 69, both entered not guilty pleas to their respective charges and were released on personal recognizance by Judge John Agostini.

Sally Gould, the alleged operator of the vehicle that struck 54-year-old Cheryl J. LeClaire, faces charges of leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, misleading a police officer and two counts each of filing a false motor insurance claim and conspiracy.

John Gould faces the same accusations, with the exception of the leaving the scene of a personal injury accident charge.

Sally Gould allegedly drove the vehicle that struck LeClaire on Feb. 9 while LeClaire was walking her dog on North Hoosac Road.

LeClaire was found unresponsive in the road by a passing motorist about 6:30 p.m. The dog was uninjured, according to police.

The Berkshire District Attorney's office was unable to provide specifics on LeClaire's condition except that she has not succumbed to her injuries.

Following the crash, police allege the Goulds gave conflicting statements to police and took steps to cover up the crime.

A broken windshield was replaced, the damaged portion of the car was cleaned, and police said the damage to the car was inconsistent with the couple's claim the damage was from a collision in a parking lot.

Police said the damage to the windshield, which was recovered from the repair shop the Goulds hired to replace it, was "consistent with a head impact."

Car pieces found at the scene of the impact determined the vehicle involved in the crash was a Honda.

Police sought the public's help in finding a Honda with heavy damage to the passenger side bumper.

A neighbor reported the damage to the Gould's car to police, who interviewed the couple.

They allegedly claimed the damage was caused by another vehicle in the parking lot of the North Adams YMCA.

They also told police the car's broken windshield was the result of a rock that had fallen from a dump truck on Route 7 in Vermont.

John Gould confirmed his wife's story, calling it "one hell of a coincidence," according to the report.

Sally Gould is represented by attorney David Hoose; her husband is represented by attorney Lori Levinson.

Both are due back in court on Oct. 5 for pretrial hearings.

Contact Bob Dunn at 413-496-6249.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions