Woman escapes three-alarm fire in Readsboro, wood stove is to blame

Posted

READSBORO — A woman escaped from her Goldmine Road home after a three-alarm fire broke out in her basement Tuesday morning, according to authorities.

The fire, which drew roughly a dozen agencies from three states, was caused by a wood stove, according to Readsboro Fire Chief Adam Codogni. There were no injuries. The fire caused minimal damage to the home.

Codogni said officials were dispatched to the single-family home at 130 Goldmine Road at about 10:30 a.m.

The home's single occupant was able to escape the house and call 911, Codogni said.

"We determined the fire was caused by a wood stove in the basement," he said. "When we arrived on scene, it had spread to the kitchen on the first floor. We were able to knock it down before it got to the second floor."

Three interior crews worked in the home's basement, first and second floors. About 15 firefighters worked inside at a time. Water came from a nearby water source about 2,000 feet away as well as tanker trucks from Readsboro and the departments providing mutual aid.

Damage to the home was minimal, Codogni said.

"A lot of it was limited to the kitchen," he said. "We were able to save a lot of stuff by covering and protecting it."

Codogni said the work was made more difficult by snow and ice that surrounded the house. But firefighters handled it well by using axes and equipment to steady themselves and throwing sand down to get more traction.

Codogni expressed his thanks that there were no injuries to the home's resident or any first responders.

"I'm proud of everyone for doing a great job," he said. "I'm glad we had the manpower we did, especially on a workday."

The fire drew mutual aid from volunteer fire departments from Stamford, Whitingham, Wilmington, Halifax, and East and West Dover,

Massachusetts agencies that responded were Clarksburg, Colrain, Florida, Heath, and Monroe Bridge volunteer fire departments, as well as North Adams Ambulance Service.

Also assisting was the Southwestern New Hampshire District Fire Mutual Aid of Keene, N.H.

— Contact Edward Damon at 413-770-6979


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions