Beside another early community with scattered cellar holes and stone walls at the McLennan Reservation, Ashintully Gardens holds the ruins of a Georgian-style mansion, the Marble Palace. It burned down in 1952, but its massive white Doric columns and foundation remain.
Directions: Follow Route 20 south to Route 102, and take an imediate left onto Tyringham Road. Follow it 6 miles or more, through Tyringham center,, to the intersection with Sodem Road. Turn left with the signs and park on the lawn.
Ashintully is open June 6 through Oct. 13, Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1 to 5 p.m.
All other properties in this list are open daily sunrise to sunset, year-round, and admission is free to all.
Jug End Reservation's circuit trail contains stone walls and foundations, and even a fireplace and chimney, hidden in woods. Abandoned and boarded up structures await the visitor to this 1,158-acre Massachusetts Wildlife Management Area, open sunrise to sunset year round. Admission is free.
Directions: From Route 7 south in Great Barrington, turn onto Route 23 west and follow it to South Egremont. Turn left onto Route 41 south, then take an immediate right onto Mount Washington Road. Just under two miles later, turn left onto Jug End Road and watch for parking on the right.
The Berkshire Natural Resources' Burbank Trail begins across the road from Olivia's Overlook on Lenox Mountain Road in Richmond. Look for the Gorman homestead's cellar hole, site of the family's farm from 1852 to 1892 along the trail.
Directions: From downtown Lenox, follow Route 183 south past Tanglewood. Where Route 183 bears left, head right on Richmond-Lenox Road and look for the parking lot on the left.
Berlin Mountain area in Williamstown offers the sturdy hiker following the Berlin Pass Trail an opportunity to pause and imagine what farm life might have been in the early 1800s, when the overgrown stone foundation of a farmhouse lay in open, cleared land. Park at the abandoned Williams College Ski Area at the end of Berlin Road.
Directions: From Williamstown, follow Routes 2 and 7 south and turn right on Route 2 west. Half a mile up the hill, turn right onto Torrey Woods Road, and keep straight onto the gravel road. Bear left at the fork to come to a small parking area, or continue 5 miles to the old Williams College Ski Area.