Sunday February 10, 2013

2 in Boston die of carbon monoxide after blizzard

Eds: APNewsNow.

BOSTON (AP) -- Officials are warning of carbon monoxide dangers after two people, including a child, died in Boston while sitting in running cars after the blizzard.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald says a father who was shoveling snow in the Roxbury neighborhood put his son in the running car to stay warm.

MacDonald says the car's tailpipe was clogged with snow and the boy, who was 13 or 14, was overcome by carbon dioxide and died. His name has not been released.

Later Sunday, a man in his 20s was found dead in a running vehicle in the Mattapan neighborhood. MacDonald said the car's tailpipe was also clogged with snow.

Also, two children overcome while sitting in a car in East Boston were taken to a hospital but are expected to recover.