Todd Poulton, a.k.a. The Champ, is opening a boxing academy for Pittsfield kids. The gym, housed in the Berkshire Nautilus, is meant to be a safe space for youth in the city who need more places to go.
The big game is coming up fast and we're already planning our snacks and appetizers selection. No matter what happens on the field, there can only be one winner at the party: Who has the best wings in Berkshire County?
In a series of unanimous votes, the Select Board affirmed the site plan met requirements of the town’s zoning bylaw and set 10 conditions on the special permit. The plan by Construct Inc. of Great Barrington will create the development at the 20-acre property, known as the Cassilis Farm off Hartsville-New Marlborough Road.
A mass of cold air that descended over the Berkshires Friday and Saturday set record-breaking lows for the region.
Windrose Place, with all required town permits, would include renovation of the 1790 Northrup House, two new residential buildings and a retail building, all in the heart of the downtown village.
Video from customers inside the store at the time shows dark water pouring from the ceiling near the entrance to the building. An employee can be heard on the intercom asking customers to leave the Stop & Shop.
TODAY'S TOP HEADLINES
- Gordon Hubbard, Mt. Greylock Campsite Park owner and former Lanesborough select board member, dies while skiing
- Don't touch that thermostat! 5 tips local plumbers want you to know to keep your house warm and your pipes from freezing right now
- The infamous Woody's Roadhouse no longer stands. But a $22,500 bill remains outstanding
- A Pittsfield man was arrested for the second time in three months for allegedly selling drugs from a cluster of Lenox hotels
- This Pittsfield parent says his son's special ed promises are unmet. 'I will not be silent'
- 2023 Tanglewood Summer Season includes Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, slate of familiar faces and robust musical offerings
- We know, it's cold. But when will it be safe enough to venture outside again in the Berkshires?
- Pittsfield city councilors want the city's free cash to go toward city roads and sidewalks
- Naturalist Aimee Gelinas knew she had to act fast when a rare boreal forest in Windsor was about go on the market. It's now part of Tamarack Hollow
- Here's an inside look at downtown Pittsfield's newest brewery, Hot Plate Brewery
- Photos: McCann Tech vs Ludlow boys basketball
- Photos: Hot Plate Brewing Co. to open Thursday
- Photos: Morris Elementary School students celebrate Global School Play Day
- Photos: Mount Everett vs Lee girls basketball
- Photos: Nordic Ski Meet at Mount Greylock
- PHOTOS: Take a look in and around the site of an illegal Berkshires cannabis grow
- Photos: Today in History for Feb. 4
- Photos: Three Sisters Harvest Cafe opens at Great Barrington VFW
- Photos: Today in History for Feb. 3
- Readers share their Berkshire snow day photos
If you take Ukrainian officials at their word, Russia this summer could face Crimean War II.
Grammar columnist Curtis Honeycutt says: "In an effort to have better grammar, we can often make it worse."
Eagle columnist Dalton Delan writes: "Here’s my nightmare scenario, and my moonlit dream scenes have an unfortunate habit of becoming daytime reality."
(Overheard in a Congressional backroom sometime in the near future.)
A crash on the top of floor of a Boston area parking garage Saturday left a car hanging precariously off the edge and injured at least one, according to firefighters. The Cambridge Fire Department in a tweet at about 2:15 p.m. Saturday said it was conducting a technical rescue at the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s Alewife garage. The fire department posted a photo of a car with heavy front end damage hanging over the edge of the garage that has nearly 2,500 parking spaces. The MBTA tweeted that the station is temporarily closed as crews assess the damage.
The Arctic air that descended on the Northeast has brought dangerously cold sub-zero temperatures and wind chills to the region. That includes a record-setting wind chill of minus 108 degrees Fahrenheit on the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire. The Mount Washington Observatory at the peak of the Northeast’s highest mountain, famous for its extreme weather conditions, also recorded an actual temperature of minus 47 and tying an observatory record set in 1934. Across the rest of the region, wind chills — the combined effect of wind and cold air on exposed skin — dropped to as low as minus 45 to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit on Saturday.
There will be something for everyone at Tanglewood this summer. The Boston Symphony Orchestra announced Wednesday that the 2023 season will feature the traditional performcaes by the BSO and the Boston Pops, dozens of new performers, conductors, and composers, and the crowd-pleasing popular artist series. The season starts on June 22 and runs until late August. The popular artist series features two performances by James Taylor and his All-Star Band, including one on the Fourth of July, and an episode of “Wait Wait ... Don’t Tell Me!” NPR’s irreverent news quiz show. Tickets go on sale March 9.
Flying Cloud Institute and Greenagers will hold a science and art exploration program during the February school break for children ages 7 to 13 years.
Taking time to focus on your emotional, mental and physical wellbeing isn't selfish, it's self care. Prioritizing that self care, if even for a few minutes a day can make the difference. And despite what the latest social media influencer is telling you, the path to your "healthiest self" doesn't come in a "one-size-fits-all package."
For her exhibition, “Hot Corners” at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, Yoes has created a series of installations inspired by the lush décor and vintage feel of "period rooms."
J. Peter Bergman directs playwright Arthur Laurents’ “Invitation to a March” at Ghent Playhouse
"Fun Home" has an eight-performance two-weekend run, Feb. 3 to 12, at Hubbard Hall in Cambridge, N.Y.
The warehouse that housed the former Shire City Herbals was purchased at auction Wednesday. The decision to sell the warehouse also affected two tenants, Berkshire Organics and Hosta Hill.
After the pandemic and parity knocked the Spartans for a loop in recent years, coach Jill Svirida's teams finished off an unbeaten winter season in pools across Berkshire County.
Eagle sports columnist Howard Herman is wistfully remembering the days of the Berkshire North boys' basketball battles. Last Monday's overtime win by Pittsfield over Wahconah brought those memories flooding back.
In this week's Berkshire Woods and Waters, Gene Chague talks a record season for deer hunting in Massachusetts, and details a bunch of local ice fishing derbies.
The Hornets led at halftime, and played with league-leading Ludlow throughout, but the Lions had more left in the tank in the fourth quarter Friday night.