State police have identified the man who was killed Thursday evening in a fiery crash in New Ashford. 

Matthew Heyer, 50, was taken by ambulance to Berkshire Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. 

According to state police, Heyer was traveling on Route 7, near The Springs Inn, about 7 p.m. when his Ram pickup truck collided head-on with a Chevrolet Cobalt. 

Heyer, of Williamstown, was traveling north on Route 7 when he crossed over and struck the Cobalt, according to State Police Sgt. Paul Sullivan. 

"It was a possible medical [issue,] but we don't have a reason," Sullivan said. "It's under investigation." 

The Cobalt driver, a 27-year-old Lanesborough woman, was trapped in her car, which became fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters used a chemical extinguisher and then cut her out of the car with the Jaws of Life, he said. 

The woman was in critical condition Thursday night at Albany Medical Center in Albany, N.Y., and is expected to survive, according to Sullivan.

The crash occurred two hours after another head-on collision, in Hancock, that left three people injured. That accident occurred just after 5 p.m., on Route 20, near the Overlook Parking Area. 

A man driving a Volkswagen Passat collided with a Toyota RAV4, according to state police. The driver of the Passat, a 28-year-old Pittsfield man, was "in a lot of pain," said Richmond Fire Chief Steve Traver.

The driver of the RAV4, a 67-year-old New Lebanon, N.Y., man, appeared to be the most seriously hurt, with traumatic injuries to both legs, Traver said.

"The impact was so hard that his legs were pinned," he said. "I'm not sure [if they were] life-threatening. I would say serious leg injuries." 

Traver said it was unclear what direction either car was traveling because they were both side by side and "mangled" by the time rescuers arrived. 

Support our journalism. Subscribe today. →

Both drivers had to be extricated from their vehicles. A passenger in the RAV4, a 67-year-old woman from New Lebanon, also was injured. All three victims were taken to Berkshire Medical Center. 

The Pittsfield resident was found to have been driving under the influence of alcohol, Sullivan said. He was headed westbound into New York when he crossed over and struck the other car head-on, Sullivan said. 

He was issued a criminal summons for a marked lanes violation, speeding, negligent operation, operating under the influence of liquor and having an open container of alcohol in the car. 

He was not arrested because he remains in the hospital. State police doen't release the names of individuals issued summons. He is expected to be arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court upon his release from Berkshire Medical Center, Sullivan said. 

All three victims in that crash are also expected to survive.

New Lebanon, Richmond, Hancock and Pittsfield all had rescue crews on the scene, and Traver commended the police and fire departments for their collaboration. 

"They were fantastic," he said. "It's nice to see multiple agencies come together and work." 

He also commented on the close timing of the two serious crashes.

"It must have been something in the air last night to have two bad accidents within a couple hours of each other in Berkshire County, especially with dry roads," he said. "That just doesn't happen." 

Haven Orecchio-Egresitz can be reached at, @HavenEagle on Twitter and 413-770-6977.