Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

Schools and non-emergency child care centers in Massachusetts will now be closed until at least May 4 under a new order Gov. Charlie Baker signed Wednesday afternoon.

In the meantime, Baker said, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education will work to produce in-home programming for students. Previously, schools had been ordered closed until at least April 6.

"This will allow school districts to provide the best possible opportunities for remote learning to all students," Baker said. He added, "This is not an extended school vacation."

Baker said the state is partnering with WGBH and that the broadcaster will air educational material from noon until 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us.
We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.