Police identify suspect in shooting death of Asiyanna Jones

Asiyanna Jones, 22, of Pittsfield, was fatally shot on Oct. 2.

PITTSFIELD — Police have identified a suspect in the recent shooting death of Asiyanna Jones.

Gary Linen, 36, of Pittsfield, known by the street name "G-Black," is believed to have come under fire himself, prompting him to shoot at two vehicles — including the silver BMW on Dewey Avenue that Jones was in. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

The account of the shooting was contained in court documents obtained by The Eagle on Monday.

Josaiah T. "JoJo" Bynum, 19, of Pittsfield, allegedly shot at Linen as he was walking near 237 Dewey Ave. about 10:45 p.m. Oct. 2, according to witnesses in the case.

In response, police said, Linen opened fire on the vehicle in which Bynum was riding, as well as the BMW in which Jones was seated with another female passenger. Two of the shots pierced the BMW's windshield, one of which struck Jones in the head.

Jones, 22, was transported to Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield, and later to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, where she died.

After talking to witnesses and conducting an investigation, police sought, and received, arrest warrants for Bynum and Linen. Court files did not describe a potential motive in the shooting.

Bynum was arrested about 5:07 p.m. Sunday during a traffic stop on South Street in Pittsfield, according to the city's police log.

He pleaded not guilty in Central Berkshire District Court on Monday to charges of armed assault to murder, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building and carrying a firearm without a license. He was being held pending a pretrial hearing scheduled for Oct. 23.

He also has an open case currently pending in Berkshire Superior Court on charges of possession of a Class B drug with intent to distribute, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony and possession of a firearm and ammunition without a firearms identification card from a search of his home in late February.

Bynum also pleaded guilty to one count of threatening to commit a crime in May 2017. That case was continued without a finding for six months with the conditions he have no contact and stay away from the victim.

His arrest is the second to date in connection with the fatal shooting.

Justin D. Crawford, 20, is being held on a total of $25,500 bail on drug and weapons charges in connection to a vehicle that was spotted in the area.

Crawford was spotted near an SUV that matched the description of one allegedly near both the Dewey Avenue shooting and another report of shots fired nearby about an hour and 45 minutes later.

Police spotted that vehicle on Cherry Street shortly after the description went out to officers and identified Crawford, who was standing at the driver's-side door wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with white markings. When officers approached, Crawford ran.

Officers followed his route and found a discarded cellphone and, during a search, found a sweatshirt believed to be the one police had seen Crawford wearing. The shirt appeared to have two fresh bloodstains on it, police said.

The Jeep, which is not registered to Crawford, was seized as evidence. Police believe it might have been involved in both shootings.

A warrant was issued for Crawford's arrest and he was taken into custody on Oct. 9.

At Crawford's arraignment, his attorney, Ryan Smith raised questions surrounding Crawford's identification and whether he had knowledge or access to the gun found by police.

Reach staff writer Bob Dunn at 413-496-6249 or @BobDunn413 on Twitter.