MOUNT WASHINGTON — A boy who went missing on a Friday hike with his father was found Saturday afternoon after an intensive overnight search by authorities from three states, police said.

The boy, 13, went missing for 24 hours after he had gone far ahead of his father while hiking on Mount Alander.

The Massachusetts State Police Barracks in Lee received the call at 8:15 p.m. Friday, and the State Police Air Wing was called in to assist, as well as K-9 units and volunteers with ATVs. A state police official told Western Massachusetts News that the search was called off at 3 a.m. but resumed several hours later with assistance from the Egremont Fire Department, among other authorities.

At 4 p.m. Saturday, the boy, who is from Waterbury, Conn., was found by his two grandfathers about 3 miles south of where he had disappeared. He was looked over by the Southern Berkshire Volunteer Ambulance Squad and released. State police said the boy had had plenty of food, water and other supplies during his stay in the woods.

The boy had also had a cellphone on him, according to police, but poor cell service in the area hindered attempts to use his signal to locate him.

Brian Tobin, who is Mount Washington's acting police chief, a Select Board member, as well as the town's director of emergency management, said no one in town knew what had happened as the search was underway.

"We have a lot of trails in Mount Washington, so there are always lost hikers," Tobin told The Eagle. "But we're always the last ones to find out. I wasn't even on the call tree."

Tobin has since sent a letter to the Berkshire County Sheriff's Department asking that town officials be put on that call list. He said hikers frequently get lost or injured on the two major hiking trails and at Bash Bish Falls, where last year a Ghent man died in the falls, and his body could not be found for a week. The town is home to Mount Washington State Forest, and the Appalachian Trail.

Among the 147 residents in town are many who know the area well and are willing to help in an emergency, and serve as a staging area, said Tobin, whose police chief duties are confined to issuing gun permits.

"We have smart backwoodsmen," he said, noting the skills of David Whitbeck, who is town constable and who grew up here.

"We get great emergency response," Tobin said, "but we don't know what's going on."

Tobin said sketchy cellular service continues to be unreliable, but that the town is at the mercy of cellular carriers, who likely do not see the the town as a profit center, given the scarcity of residents.

But Tobin couldn't help but boast about what the town does have in abundance: its own brand new fiber-optic network, with high broadband speeds.

"The good thing is, we do have the fastest internet in Massachusetts," he said. "It's five times faster than what we have in our apartment in Manhattan."

Heather Bellow can be reached at or on Twitter @BE_hbellow and 413-329-6871.