Tanglewood Music Festival originally began as the Berkshire Symphonic Festival and was held on the Dan Hanna estate in 1934, as seen here. The first two years of the Berkshire Symphonic Festival were under the direction of the New York Philharmonic. The Boston Symphony Orchestra arrived in 1936, performing three concerts that summer.
The music festival would also be held at the Holmwood estate, before the Tanglewood estate was donated as the permanent home of the festival in 1936. The first concerts were held on the Tanglewood grounds in August 1937. The second weekend of concerts was held under a tent during torrential rains that caused a collection to be taken up for the construction of a permanent structure. That structure, known as The Shed, was opened in 1938.
Jennifer Huberdeau is The Eagle's features editor. Prior to The Eagle, she worked at The North Adams Transcript. She is a 2021 Rabkin Award Winner, 2020 New England First Amendment Institute Fellow and a 2010 BCBS Health Care Fellow.