In 1933, the North Adams Women's Club opened an exact replica of Fort Massachusetts, which was built on its original site in North Adams with the aid of a WPA grant. Unable to financially sustain the fort as a tourist attraction, the club sold it to private owners in 1945 and it was used in part, as a restaurant.
The buildings eventually fell into disrepair and were torn down piece by piece. In 1973, at the request of Central Markets which owned the land at that time, the remaining building was torn down. The site is now marked by a memorial plaque and the remains of the replica fort's chimney.
Our photos make great gifts. Visit our SmugMug galleries to see more photos and purchase prints.
Jennifer Huberdeau is the editor of UpCountry Magazine and The Eagle's features digital editor. Prior to The Eagle, she worked at The North Adams Transcript. She is a 2020 New England First Amendment Institute Fellow and a 2010 BCBS Health Care Fellow.