Millionaire Giraud Foster spent $2.5 million to build Bellefontaine in 1897 as a duplicate of Marie Antoinette's Petit Trianon. He lived there with his family until his death at age 94.

Two years later, in 1947, Bellefontaine sold to the Fathers of the Mercy. A boarding school for high school boys, the Immaculate Heart of Mary Seminary, occupied the space from 1961 to 1979.

Martin Isenberg of Boston purchased the estate in September of 1981 for $1 million and spent $500,00 to restore it, before selling it in September of 1987 to Mel Zuckerman for $5.2 million. Groundbreaking for the $37 million Canyon Ranch began in 1988 and the resort opened in September of 1989.

To purchase any of these photos, visit SmugMug.com