ADAMS — Two dogs died in a fire that tore through a garage and apartment early Monday, according to a release by the Adams Fire Department.

The fire at 50 1/2 Orchard St. was determined to be electrical.

The resident of the apartment was not in the building when the fire broke out around 6:30 a.m.

A passerby noticed the smoke and called 911, according to a press release from the fire department.

Firefighters were able to “quickly” extinguish the fire once they were on site.

There was no damage to the house behind the garage.

Francesca Paris can be reached at fparis@berkshireeagle.com and 510-207-2535.