PITTSFIELD — A city man faces an attempted murder charge after allegedly stabbing his brother-in-law in the head then leading police departments on a car chase before his arrest Wednesday.

Stephen Moss, 31, of Brown Street, has also been charged with aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and failure to stop for police, according to court documents.

He was arraigned Thursday before Judge Jennifer Tyne and pleaded not guilty to the charges, the clerk’s office said.

Police said in a report that officers dispatched to 2 Weller Ave. at 8:40 a.m. Wednesday found a 38-year-old man with “serious facial trauma” unconscious on the floor of his kitchen. Authorities rendered aid to the victim, who was taken to Berkshire Medical Center but later prepped for transport to Albany Medical Center due to the extent of his injuries.

A Pittsfield police spokesman described the stabbing victim’s condition as “critically stable.”

The victim’s wife identified the suspect as her brother, Moss, according to the report. She said Moss pushed his way into their apartment with a knife, screaming, and punched her husband in the head repeatedly.

During the attack, Moss allegedly also stabbed the victim in the head and “stomped” his face after the man dropped to the floor, police said in the report.

Moss fled in a blue Audi that had a paper license plate, and police put out a “be on the lookout” notice, or BOLO, for the vehicle. Police said a car matching the description was spotted by an officer near the intersection of East, Elm and Fourth streets.

The driver made an illegal U-turn and fled on East Street when the officer attempted a traffic stop, and eventually lost the officer on Pomeroy Avenue, a second police report states.

An off-duty Great Barrington Police Officer spotted the vehicle on Route 7 in Lenox, and, after alerting other agencies, pursued Moss with other officers from Lenox and Stockbridge and the state police, police said.

Moss was stopped after Stockbridge police deployed a device known as a “stop stick” used to deflate the tires of a vehicle in pursuits. Moss fled into the woods on foot. Police said Moss was quickly caught and taken into custody.

Moss was taken to Berkshire Medical Center and then to the jail, according to a police report.

Shortly before the stabbing on Wednesday, police responded to a Hall Place residence for a report of a man making a disturbance. As they arrived they saw a man entering a blue Audi with a paper license plate, the report states. At that residence, a woman identified that man as her brother and said he was mentally ill and not taking his medication.

Moss was ordered committed to Bridgewater State Hospital after his arraignment Thursday, according to the clerk’s office. He is due back in court Nov. 6 for a status hearing.

Amanda Burke can be reached at aburke@berkshireeagle.com, on Twitter @amandaburkec and 413-496-6296.

Cops and Courts Reporter

Amanda Burke is Cops and Courts Reporter for The Berkshire Eagle. An Ithaca, New York native, she previously worked at The Herald News of Fall River and the Fitchburg Sentinel & Enterprise.