Branagh, Friel take home International Emmys gold
Branagh and Friel were among 11 winning performers and programs spanning eight countries: Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Norway, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
The awards are presented annually by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, which represents more than 60 countries and 500 companies from all sectors of TV, including internet and mobile technology.
The evening was hosted by Iranian-American comedian-actor Maz Jobrani, who co-stars on the CBS sitcom "Superior Donuts."
"The International Emmys are like the World Cup of TV," Jobrani cracked, "and like the World Cup a lot of Americans don't know it's happening.
Presenters included Kevin McKidd ("Grey's Anatomy"), talk-show veteran Larry King, Freddy Rodriguez ("Bull") and Melissa Villasenor ("Saturday Night Live").
Branagh won for his role as Swedish detective Kurt Wallander in the popular BBC drama series "Wallander," which has won an American following on public television's "Masterpiece."
Friel was awarded for her performance as Sergeant Marcella Backland in the British series "Marcella" (which is available on Netflix).
The other winners include:
- Arts: "Hip-Hop Evolution" (Canada).
- Comedy: "Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle" (United Kingdom).
- Documentary: "EXODUS: Our Journey to Europe" (United Kingdom).
- Drama Series: "Mammon II" (Norway).
- Non-English Language U.S. Primetime Program: "Sr. Avila" (carried on HBO Latin America).
- Non-Scripted Entertainment: "Sorry Voor Alles" ("Sorry About That"), (Belgium).
- Short-Form Series: "The Braun Family" (Germany).
- Telenovela: "Kara Sevda" ("Endless Love"), (Turkey).
- TV Movie or Miniseries: "Don't Leave Me" (France).
In addition, the Emmy Directorate Award was presented to Emilio Azcarraga Jean, head of Grupo Televisa, the world's largest Spanish-language content provider as well as Mexico's largest broadcaster and pay-TV provider.
Not present was Kevin Spacey, who had been announced as the 2017 recipient of the International Emmy Founders Award. His award was rescinded last month after allegations of past sexual misconduct became public.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.