No deaths from virus Thursday in county; cases up to 73 in Berkshires, only 2 more than day before
Dark day in rest of state, as single day deaths hit 10, highest yet, for a total of 25 dead
Read Friday's latest update on the coronavirus.
PITTSFIELD — Novel coronavirus cases inched up to 73 on Thursday, up from 71 on Wednesday afternoon.
Statewide, there are now 2,417 cases, according to the state Department of Public Health, up from 1,838 on Wednesday.
On Wednesday, Berkshire coronavirus cases nearly doubled from the day before, which was attributed partly to a slew of tests results arriving at the same time.
The county had 37 cases Tuesday; a death Tuesday in the Berkshires attributed to COVID-19 was the second such death of a county resident since the pandemic began.
Thursday, state Public health officials announced that there were 10 additional deaths from COVID-19, the largest number of deaths in the commonwealth in a single day.
These 10 people are:
• Male, 50s, Essex County, preexisting conditions, hospitalized
• Male, 80s, Essex County, preexisting conditions, hospitalized
• Male, 80s, Middlesex County, unknown preexisting conditions, hospitalized
• Male, 70s, Middlesex County, preexisting condition, hospitalization status under investigation
• Male, 80s, Hampden County, unknown preexisting conditions, hospitalization status under investigation
• Male, 90s, Suffolk County, preexisting conditions, hospitalized
• Male, 80s, Worcester County, preexisting conditions, hospitalized
• Female, 70s, Norfolk County, preexisting conditions, hospitalization status under investigation
• Male, 80s, Franklin County, unknown preexisting conditions, hospitalization status under investigation
• Female, 80s, Middlesex County, preexisting conditions, hospitalized
These deaths bring to 25 the total number of deaths from the novel coronavirus in Massachusetts.
As of 4 p.m. Thursday, Massachusetts has 579 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, 2,417 cases total.
There have been 23,621 Massachusetts residents tested for COVID-19 by the State Public Health Laboratory, commercial and clinical labs, up by 3,827 since Wednesday.
The county by county breakdown of the current cases is as follows:
• Barnstable: 67
• Berkshire: 73
• Bristol: 90
• Dukes and Nantucket: 3
• Essex: 247
• Franklin: 16
• Hampden: 55
• Hampshire: 17
• Middlesex: 538
• Norfolk: 292
• Plymouth 138
• Suffolk: 448
• Worcester: 166
• Unknown: 267
In Massachusetts on Thursday, cases in which the patient was hospitalized total 219; patients not hospitalized, 366; and those under investigation, 1,832.
In the U.S., there have been more than 68,440 cases of the new coronavirus and more than 994 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To keep updated regarding COVID-19, text "COVIDMA" to 888-777 to receive COVID-19 text message alerts. More information about COVID-19 can be found at www.mass.gov/covid19. For general questions 24/7, call 2-1-1.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.